GI Dietitian Supervision Program Fall 2022
Looking to grow you skills with GI patients?
The way I learned my GI dietitian skills was on a practical level.
How? Through mentorship, case presentation, and getting to discuss complex cases as a group - something that dietitians often lack in a GI setting.
For the last few years, I've run small GI dietitian supervision groups, focused on each groups 'GI learning wish list' in addition to myself, or the group dietitians presenting and discussing cases.
This year - I'm looking forward to running it again with a group of 12 dietitians!
We will be having 6 one-hour sessions focused on tackling the nutrition management and medical advocacy for complex GI patients - everything from bile acid diarrhea, to EoE, to mast cell disorders (and their intersection with gut disorders!).
We don't set a specific list of topics or make cases mandatory (so no worries if you don't have many GI cases - I will always have a case ready to present and discuss if no one has a particular case of interest that week) - as each group in the past has had different educational needs and wishes, and so I will let the group guide topic choices each week.
What's in it for you?
- Gain confidence and competence in case presentation and discussion - if you haven't had the opportunity to present cases in a rounds-style fashion before, I find this is a really great skill to learn so you're comfortable talking with doctors and other HCP's about GI cases. I find the more confident you are in case presentation, the easier it is to advocate for your patients where needed. Typically, any cases dietitians need support with will be presented at the beginning of each session, followed by suggestions on management from me, and of course the group is welcome to offer their expertise as well.**I will share my case presentation templates with you!
- Nutrition Managements of Complex GI Patients - each groups learning wish-list has been different, however, popular topics include:
- Nutrition management and medical advocacy for SIBO diagnosis & treatment
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Microscopic colitis
- IBD (EEN, PEN, research update/discussion on dietary interventions, often end up chatting about emulsifiers too)
- Functional dyspepsia
- Bile Acid Diarrhea
- IBS - how to manage when the Low FODMAP diet fails - nutrition considerations & other interventions
When does it start?
It's a 3-month GI dietitian supervision program. The sessions will run every other Tuesday at 12pm MST.
- Oct 11
- Oct 25
- Nov 8
- Nov 22
- Dec 6
- Dec 20
The session will be held over Zoom, and will be recorded for you to watch in case you can't make it - they will be housed on Nutrition Academy for you with any resources/papers we discuss available there for you as well.
What is the cost of this program?
The investment for the 6 sessions is $450 CAD.
Don't miss this opportunity to level up your skills!
How do I enrol?
I'm keeping it nice and simple. Just email me at [email protected] to let me know (or if you have questions) - enrolment closes Sept 12th!
Hope to see you there!
Andrea Hardy is a Registered Dietitian and co-founder of Nutrition Academy.
She specializes in gut health & gastrointestinal diseases, and is recognized in the media as 'Canada’s Gut Health Dietitian’. Using her skills in evidence-based knowledge translation, she empowers Canadians to make lifestyle changes to support a healthy gut.
Her private practice Ignite Nutrition Inc. provides nutrition & psychology counselling in a variety of areas including digestive health, food allergies, intolerances, and sensitivities, and food relationship.
Andrea also does a variety of health care professional education & public speaking, and is best known for her TEDx talk on science communication. Her goal is to put an end to nutrition misinformation and help people to make health decisions from a place of empowerment, not fear.
StartOctober 11 Session 10 AM MST (68:04)
StartOctober 11 Session 12 PM MST (84:48)
StartOctober 25 Session 10 AM MST (65:45)
StartOctober 25 Session 12 PM MST (86:17)
StartNovember 8 Session 10 AM MST (73:19)
StartNovember 8 Session 12 PM MST (69:37)
StartNovember 22 Session 10 AM MST
StartNovember 22 Session 12 PM MST (68:27)
StartDecember 6 10 AM MST - RESCHEDULED TO JAN 3
StartDecember 6 12 PM MST - RESCHEDULED TO JAN 3
StartDecember 20 Session 10 AM MST
StartDecember 20 Session 12 PM MST